Monday, January 30, 2012

January Madness

Dave and I did our first Adventure Race in October. It was the last race of the regular season. I named our team the Out of Steam Punks.


If you're unfamiliar with the sport check out http://www.pangeaadventureracing.com/sport

When we arrived I heard the old Sesame Street song playing in my head, "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong." Now, I've been to a couple of local 5Ks in my day and sure, most folks are pretty fit. But there are always a good portion of folks there to walk or who are just getting started who don't look so....athletic. Not so, here. I felt like I had wandered onto the set of Shape magazine shoot. To be fair, at subsequent races there has a been a little more variety in terms of body shapes, but talk about intimidating! As it turns out however, Sport Class ARs, and all all ARs really, are as much about the brain as the brawn. Thankfully, Dave is excellent at map and compass work. (I'm learning, and am good at spotting the Control Points when he gets us in the general area). So for us it was all about racing smarter, not faster. 



We ended up clearing the course and coming in 8th place out of 33 teams. We were overjoyed.   

November is the season championship race for the Elite Class, and they usually take December off. The new season begins in January. There were two races planned, with a weekend between them. There just so happened to be  a Warrior Dash scheduled for that free weekend. So as part of our Christmas present to each other we registered for them all. I'll create separate posts for each race. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment