Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Warrior Stroll

If you're not familiar with the Warrior Dash events check this out: www.warriordash.com

I'll say this: the Adventure Races are way more difficult in pretty much every way. However, I've got to admit that this event really hit home how far I have come, physically speaking.

I had every intention of running between the obstacles as much as possible, but it became evident pretty quick that Dave did not agree with my plan. Since we went into this event as a goof, and I was afraid I might need his help with some of the obstacles, we stuck together.

I saw the cameras coming and made him jog past them with me.

As it turns out I did not need his help at all. I was able to complete all of the obstacles in relative ease, with nary a boost or helping hand. And that includes the 20' climbing wall. Honestly, I about teared up when I got to the top. It was the kind with a rope and a few very narrow toe-holds. There is absolutely NO WAY I would have been able to complete that obstacle a year ago. Hell, even the 4-4.5' walls earlier in the race would have required a leg-up. And I don't know how I would have gotten onto the floating dock.Of course the photographers were no where to be seen at the climbing wall. (kicks a rock)

Oh well. But at least I got my super cool fire jumping pic!


The Warrior Dash was a real blast. I highly recommend it to anyone. You don't have to go like hell, just come out and get muddy. 

Did I mention you'll get muddy?

This event meant so much to me. Since the hysterectomy I have dreamed, prayed, and wished to be the kind of person who does this kind of stuff. Jumping in without worrying about the particulars. I've longed to be able to just trust that my body is going to cooperate and help me do whatever it is I want to do. It is so humiliating and frustrating when your brain and your body are at such odds. I guess it wouldn't have mattered so much if I was one who didn't want to be active. Who was content coming home from work and watching TV. Who spent vacations shopping or touring, as opposed to hiking, and rafting and riding. To realize that the dream of being "fit" is truly coming to fruition was awesome. Really awesome. 

That said, after the race you get a free beer, they have food and live bands. It's very much a Festival Type atmosphere. Lots of folks in funny costumes, an extremely jovial crowd. 

It's not a cheap entry fee, but you get a nice t-shirt, and a really nice medal. Which is now hanging in my car as reminder of how far I have come.

No comments:

Post a Comment